1. A PREMIUM TECH NIGHT OWL LIVE EXPERIENCE! Welcome to Tech Night Owl+! For a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Tech Night Owl LIVE and other exclusive content. We now offer a direct RSS feed in The Tech Night Owl+ forums for easy updating of the latest episodes. And don't miss The Tech Night Own Minute! Forum members can subscribe now: https://www.technightowl.com/radio/introducing-tech-night-owl/

Subscribe to The Tech Night Owl Newsletter!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving the OS to a new HD

Discussion in 'The Mac OS Watering Hole' started by Richard, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Richard

Richard Technology Fan

Hi, this is more of a "Helpdesk"-Question but hopefully someone can give a hint:
    I finally decided to move the OS to an SSD. If I look at the Discussion-Forums, it seems quite involved: Move that Folder, delete that Folder clone that drive etc....

My Experience with Time-Machine was really great (when I deleted the Lion-Image BEFORE the Lion-installation was done but AFTER it overwrote the bootparameter... My Fault)

so I basically thought:
    -> Put in new SSD and remove old drive
    -> Rescue-System kicks in and offers to reinstall Lion
    -> "Yes, I have a time-machine image"
    -> DONE
    Am I missing something?

Peter Oscars likes this.
  2. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Forum Super Hero Staff Member

Writer, editor, talk show host
    Home Page:
    The Rescue System is a partition on your old drive, so you'd have to rely on a net restore, where it's downloaded again from Apple.

Myself? I rely on a cloned drive and a Time Machine drive for local backups. So if anything happens to the internal drive, or I decide to just replace it, I can restart from the cloned drive to restore things to the replacement drive.

3. Peter Oscars

Peter Oscars Technology Novice

Writer
    clone the boot drive to a ssd is best suited because it is just a mirror copy of the OSX. Moreover, ssd being the boot drive helps in fast boot making Mac quicker than before.

4. Gene Steinberg

Home Page:
    Yes, an SSD is great. The cost of larger capacities is not so great.

5. Gene Steinberg

Home Page:
    Just an update: As regular listeners know, I wrote up reviews of two OWC SSDs that I installed on my late 2009 27-inch iMac and a 2010 17-inch MacBook Pro. In both cases, aging computers got new leases on life (helped with RAM upgrades). Startups are several times faster, as are app launch times. As SSDs get cheaper, they become a great way to keep your Mac chugging along.