1. A PREMIUM TECH NIGHT OWL LIVE EXPERIENCE! Welcome to Tech Night Owl+! For a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Tech Night Owl LIVE and other exclusive content. We now offer a direct RSS feed in The Tech Night Owl+ forums for easy updating of the latest episodes. And don't miss The Tech Night Own Minute! Forum members can subscribe now: https://www.technightowl.com/radio/introducing-tech-night-owl/

Subscribe to The Tech Night Owl Newsletter!
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-Monitor setup

Discussion in 'Mac Hardware Discussions' started by RonCollins, Jun 12, 2008.

1. RonCollins

RonCollins Technology Fan

Home Page:
    Being new to the Mac world I am not sure what my options are. Windows supports up to 9 monitors (obviously you have to buy the cards). I use 4 monitors currently for my development work.

1 = Dev Design/Code Pane
    2 = Dev Tools
    3 = Test Browsers
    4 = Email/IM/media player(usually tuned to the paracast archives)

Do I have this expandability for the Mac? I see that on the back of my iMac I have a secondary video out. Is this all that is available?

Thanks

2. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Forum Super Hero Staff Member

Writer, editor, talk show host
    Home Page:
    With an expandable Mac (Mac Pro), you can add as many displays as you can add graphic cards to support them. :)

3. unclemac

unclemac Administrator Staff Member

I just ran across this at Matrox and maybe it will help you w/o too much hassle.
    From their Mac section:
    "Experience the Wonders of More Space with TripleHead2Go Digital Edition
    When you're on your Mac, do you sometimes like to run multiple files and programs simultaneously to get things done a little bit quicker? The problem that many of us face when running multiple applications is the desktop clutter that appears on the crammed display. Now, Matrox can add up to an astonishing three displays to your Mac and eliminate desktop clutter.
    Unique technology. Increased productivity.
    TripleHead2Go Digital Edition is part of the innovative Graphics eXpansion Module (GXM) product line that allows you to add multiple displays without a lot of hassle. Leave your toolbox in the shed and simply make a couple of cable connections. It's that easy."
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/mac/home.php
    They also offer a dual setup and if you're bargain hunting you might find a refurbished one. Please post a reply if you happen to try this little jewel out and it works. I have a MacBook and an old iMac and that would be an easily affordable option. :D

4. unclemac

unclemac Administrator Staff Member

Are you using Leopard? Could the Spaces feature help you out? :)