1. A PREMIUM TECH NIGHT OWL LIVE EXPERIENCE! Welcome to Tech Night Owl+! For a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Tech Night Owl LIVE and other exclusive content. We now offer a direct RSS feed in The Tech Night Owl+ forums for easy updating of the latest episodes. And don't miss The Tech Night Own Minute! Forum members can subscribe now: https://www.technightowl.com/radio/introducing-tech-night-owl/

Subscribe to The Tech Night Owl Newsletter!
    Dismiss Notice

Paid Upgrades

Discussion in 'Living with the App Store' started by Richard, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Richard

Richard Technology Fan

I use Busycal and bought it from the App-Store. Now a new Version has been released, which is a paid upgrade (probably one of the first). Basically the old Version does not show up in store anymore: in the "bought application" tab, it is still shown but it says "not available in the store" when I try to open info about it, I am able to reinstall the old Busycal from the tab though.

So I think this is the Apple-Appstore-Way to do upgrades: offer the App for a certain time cheaper so the previous customers (and potential new customers) can get it then yank the price to normal.
    The old App is not shown in the App-Store anymore but is still available to customers, who bought it.

2. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Forum Super Hero Staff Member

Writer, editor, talk show host
    Home Page:
    A year down, Richard, and Apple still has no way to offer lower priced upgrades at the App Store. The recent Logic Pro X update was fully priced. With Adobe's Creative Cloud, you'll pay forever whether there's an upgrade or not, or your apps will stop working when the next payment is due if you don't keep paying.